Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 1- PRAYing 7 New WAYS in 7 DAYS

This week I am exploring new ways to pray.  

My view... and my prayer partner for the day.
Good ol' Lugnut.
Today, I prayed outside.  Now, maybe that doesn't sound that unusual to you, but it's different for me.  I mean sure, last week, I prayed while mowing the yard.  And I pray from time to time while taking an occasional walk.  I've even prayed while riding the 4-wheeler.  But this time was different.  This time, I was ONLY praying.  

So, I found a nice quiet spot and sat down to talk to God.  Now admittedly, at first, I was distracted by my "to do list" of the day.  I felt a little rushed.  I felt a little bit like I should be multi-tasking rather than sitting there "wasting time".  

Did I just say that?  Yes, I did.  Terrible, I know.  But, God knows my thoughts so why try to hide it?  

It was a beautiful day.  As I watched the wind on the water, felt the sun on my skin, and watched my shadow shift ever so slightly, a peaceful calm came over me.  I found myself relaxing.  The worries and "to do's" of the day seeming less and less important.  

I went through my usual prayer list of people and things.  But this time, I didn't stop there.   I began to really talk to God about things that were on my mind.  Things that I had repeated many times in my daily prayer ritual- ending with an abrupt "Amen".  Things that I had asked God over and over to help me with but never gave Him time to answer.  But this time, I found myself talking AND LISTENING.  

No, I didn't hear His voice.   

I felt His whisper.  

An hour passed.  

It seemed like a minute. 

I walked back into the house with a weight lifted off my shoulders.  I felt like I'd been to counseling.  

I had.  
"...and His name is called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6

I hope you'll join me on this journey and make time to truly connect with your Wonderful Counselor.   Trust me, you don't have time not to. 



No comments:

Post a Comment