Friday, February 17, 2012

Responding to Circumstances

"In Christ we can come before God with freedom and without fear. We can do this through faith in Christ. So I ask you not to become discouraged because of the sufferings I am having for you. My sufferings are for your glory." Ephesians 3:12-13 (NCV)


Paul had a much different outlook on suffering than most of us do. He looked at suffering as an opportunity to be a good example... an opportunity to glorify God. And he was GLAD to have these opportunities! Paul was not a "victim" of his circumstances.

Chip Brogden said it well- "It is not a question of God allowing or not allowing things to happen. It is part of living. Some things we do to ourselves, other things we do to each other. Our Father knows about every bird which falls to the ground, but He does not always prevent it from falling. What are we to learn from this? That our response to what happens is more important than what happens. Here is a mystery: one man’s experience drives him to curse God, while another man’s identical experience drives him to bless God. Your response to what happens is more important than what happens."

As I look back on some of the biggest trials in my life, I see many missed opportunities to exemplify my trust in God. But even WORSE, I look at some of the smaller, daily irritations in my life and see mounds of missed opportunities.

Today I want to focus on the positive. When the irritations come, (and they WILL- especially since I'm writing this haha!) I want to look at the situation from His perspective and respond in a way that would bring glory and honor to Him- rather than my usual way of responding with emotion, frustration and defeat.

We can have victory over EVERY situation, EVERY circumstance, EVERY emotion in Christ Jesus!

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment